Chimney Blog March 2019

How To Keep Your Chimney Safe

Posted On: March 18, 2019

Good Morning America recently shared a segment on ways to keep your chimney safe. According to statistics, in 2015 there were more than 20,000 fires that were related to fireplaces and chimneys. These fired resulted in 20 deaths, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This is why it is important to practice safe methods when using your home's chimney and get a chimney inspection at least once a year. That way you can help avoid any serious issues that may arise.

Creosote glaze buildup is something that can cause serious damage to your home and chimney and can have adverse effects to your health. Creosote glaze is a tar-like by product of burning wood and is more dangerous than common soot. The glaze is combustible, so if a spark were to go up the chimney flue it could ignite the glaze, which would subsequently result in a chimney flue fire. Removing creosote glaze demands more than a simple chimney sweep, so be sure to contact a chimney professional to learn about how to properly handle this issue.

Creosote glaze buildup is something that can cause serious damage to your home and chimney and can have adverse effects to your health. Creosote glaze is a tar-like by product of burning wood and is more dangerous than common soot. The glaze is combustible, so if a spark were to go up the chimney flue it could ignite the glaze, which would subsequently result in a chimney flue fire. Removing creosote glaze demands more than a simple chimney sweep, so be sure to contact a chimney professional to learn about how to properly handle this issue.

Chimney safety goes beyond just the fire being burned in the fireplace. Chimneys allow any carbon monoxide buildup to safety exit the home. It can be connected to a furnace, boiler or hot water heater in your home. When this is the case, it is important to make sure that debris is not falling down the liner and clogging the fumes from exiting. If there is debris present, deadly carbon monoxide can travel back into the home. A simple fix to this is a chimney cap. Perhaps your current chimney cap is damaged, which can allow excess debris to enter the flue. Or maybe you do not even have a chimney cap, which in that case one can be installed. To make sure that you are safe from any carbon monoxide entering your home, please be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home.

Some general warning signs to look out for to know you may be in need of service are: cracks on the outside of the chimney, damaged bricks, white or black staining, or soot falling into your home. If any of these are present, please do not hesitate to contact us for a professional chimney inspection!

0